- This event has passed.
Scottish Carbon Capture and Storage (SCCS) MOOC Launch – Climate Change: Carbon Capture and Storage
25th October 2021
Scottish Carbon Capture and Storage (SCCS) is launching it’s MOOC, or Massive Open Online Course, on Monday 25th October on ‘Climate Change: Carbon Capture and Storage’.
The five-week course, taught by leading experts at the University of Edinburgh, will explore carbon capture and storage (CCS), a set of technologies that can radically rein in CO2 emissions and help nations reach net zero by 2050.
The course, which has seen nearly 18,000 participants from across the world sign up for previous runs, begins on 25 October and places CCS in the context of climate change, global energy and economics, the use of fossil fuels and global climate policy. The world’s first such course to cover CCS and climate change, it has been developed for those with no prior knowledge.
Course participants will learn about:
- how to protect the atmosphere, with CCS technology, from an excess of CO2;
- the uniqueness of CCS to complement other low-carbon technologies;
- the potential to make fossil fuels “safe to use” in the context of the Paris Climate Change Agreement of 2015;
- key sectors of the global economy, where CCS can contribute to deep reductions in emissions;
- how CCS can unlock carbon negative solutions, which will need to be used before mid-century;
- the scientific principles of climate mitigation technologies;
- the key elements of geology for permanently, and safely, disposing of CO2 underground;
- the international state-of-play and scale of the industry in the 21st century.
What is a MOOC? The University of Edinburgh has a range of Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs), which are freely accessible and open-licensed short courses delivered online. On completion, there is the option to gain a Verified Certificate. https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/moocs